Joseph J. Gorfida, Jr.
JOSEPH J. GORFIDA, JR.
With more than 20 years’ experience in municipal law, Mr. Gorfida currently serves as City Attorney for the cities of DeSoto, Hutchins, Lucas, Midlothian, and Sachse. He serves as secondary City Attorney for the cities of Allen, Farmers Branch, and Richardson, as well as legal advisor to Allen and Richardson Police Departments. He acts as General Counsel for the Denton County Transportation Authority and as Assistant General Counsel for the Dallas, Denton, Grayson, Hunt, Kaufman, Erath, Ellis, and Tarrant County Appraisal Districts.
Mr. Gorfida’s practice area focuses on municipal law, labor and employment law, as well as land use and zoning. He is instrumental in assisting his clients with preparation of personnel policies, negotiation, and preparation of complex employment and severance agreements, providing advice on, and negotiating FMLA and FLSA claim, attending appeal hearings as provided under city policy, and representation at hearings before the Equal Opportunity Commission and Texas Workforce Commission. Mr. Gorfida also routinely provides training sessions for his clients on a variety of employment law-related issues.
Mr. Gorfida is a frequent speaker on an array of subject matters affecting municipalities, including land use and zoning, law enforcement, Open Meetings, and the Public Information Act, and state and federal employment law issues, including FMLA, FLSA, and EEOC claims.
Other Areas of Practice:
- Negotiating and drafting complex economic development agreements, telecommunications facilities license agreements, interlocal agreements; leases; and, vendor agreements
- Land development issues, including planning and development, acquisition and zoning
- Negotiating real estate transactions, and drafting related documents
- Substandard building issues
- Ad valorem tax issues
- Open government and the Public Information Act, including training sessions for staff
- Municipal Law
- Labor & Employment
- Law Enforcement
- Economic Development
- Land Use and Zoning
- Transactional Real Estate
- Transportation Authorities
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- State Bar of Texas – Member
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, Texas City Attorneys Association
- Member, International Municipal Lawyers Association
- Member, Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- University of Tulsa College of Law, Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1998 J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina, 1992 B. A., Bachelor of Arts Major: Political Science
- Texas, 1999 U.S. District Court
- Northern District of Texas U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit